IRs are incredible flexlible tool to get good D.I. tones. But it is not the best idea to first cut frequencies and then trying to eq something back in. With the helper IRs you can save information, color, add something, even out. They are the right tool to mess with your existing IRs before Eqing.
Do you have a IR you already like but eqing them changes to much of the balance? This is the Problem I run into sometimes and my idea was using another IR to mix in what you like. And these are the “Helper IRs”. Use a IR loader that allows you to mix different IRs and here you go.
- AirBOOST - This is a single IR of a Genelec Tweeter close up. You can blend in Highend sparkle to all of you IRs.
- HiBOOST - Made by micing the tweeter of a basscab, just like the tweeter in the famous Rivera© Sedona© 55 shows. A tweeter can also do wonders on your guitar tone!
- MIDBOOST - Made by converting a small speaker into a mic and then micing the speaker. This sounds organic and natural and way better then a bandpass but it gives you only the full and warm mids of your amp.
- BASSBOOST - Made with a Oktava© 52-02 at close proximity. This gives you almost only the bass of your signal but sounds also way more natural then a highcut would.
- SUBOOST - Some are made by micing the bassport and one special one is a miced Genelec© 7070 Subwoofer that reaches below 20Hz. If you need to get serious Subs you need this!